Office of the Los Angeles City Attorney
Hydee Feldstein Soto
LEGAL ASSISTANT I
DOCUMENT SERVICES SECTION
SALARY RANGE: $64,602 - $94,461
POSITION: Legal Assistant I in the Document Services Section of the Operations Branch.
SECTION: The Document Services section is responsible for filing of all civil documents in Courthouses throughout Los Angeles and the surrounding counties. Civil service of process of documents and delivery functions as required. Assistance in the filing of civil documents and response to all queries pertaining to court filings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Legal Assistant’s primary duties include:
- Filing civil court documents,
- Serving civil subpoenas, civil summons, and complaints;
- Driving to courts throughout Los Angeles and surrounding counties;
- Entering new civil case information into City-Law;
- Handling inquiries regarding cases, special requests; and
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: The legal assistant position requires at least six months of legal administrative experience which requires a thorough knowledge of legal procedures and terminology and independent judgment in analyzing, interpreting, and reviewing legal documents;
Successful completion of one Legal Assistant (Paralegal) class (equivalent to 3 units), which includes emphasis on legal procedures, terminology, and the ability to use independent judgment in analyzing, interpreting, and reviewing legal documents. The course may have been taken through a college or university.
This position also requires a person who has:
- Thorough knowledge of the various sections throughout the City Attorney’s Office;
- Knowledgeable of service of civil subpoena and service of summons and complaints;
- Understanding of courthouse requirements for filings;
- Experience inputting data into City-Law and other computer software;
- Geographical knowledge of Los Angeles and the surrounding counties;
- Able to operate a City Motor Pool vehicle and drive approximately 1,000 – 1,500 miles per month.
- Valid Driver’s license and a clean driving record;
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.; and
- Reliable attendance and punctuality are essential.
The candidate for this position is self-motivated, learns quickly, can exercise
independent judgment and work with minimum supervision; able to work well with other employees of this office and personnel from other agencies, as well as members of the public; takes direction, works well under pressure, and pays close attention to detail.
PROBATION: Appointment to this exempt position (non Civil-Service) will be subject to a one (1) year probationary period as required by Section 1050 of the City Charter. Successful completion of the one (1) year probationary period will result in tenure with the office.
COVID -19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT: For candidates seeking initial City employment, in accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, information regarding COVID -19 vaccination requirements as conditions of employment may be found at: https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2021/21-0921_ord_187134_8-24-21.pdf.